This is the first in a regular series of posts on cases of interest.
Incidental finding in a 40yo male. Image above.
Cavernomas of the spinal cord have a very specific appearance on MRI with the following features
- Lobulated well defined lesion mixed signal T1 and T2
- No significant enhancement
- Low signal rim of hemosiderin on all sequences represents slow leak of blood products
- Mass effect but no oedema unless there has been acute bleeding
- Blooming on Gradient Echo sequence
Upcoming MRI Spine Workstation Workshop in Singapore 1st October 2016. More information at this link mrispinesg